Saturday, October 16, 2010

Make it yourself heirloom cake plate



I have heirloom envy.  
The old fashioned pass-em-on-downs that other girls have, hand made crochet runners, old chipped china and pressed glass, faded velvet corsages, embroidered pillowcases & tablecloths, 
they strike a chord in my heart.  
But I do not come from a family (grandparents) that had such things.  

So I collect other peoples discarded heirlooms.  And I make my own.  


Behold, a simple collection of candle sticks, 
ice cream dishes and juice glasses and plates.  



With just a ring of glass glue (E6000) 



they become instant vintage looking cake plates.  



Heirloom envy begone!





Maybe my daughter will throw all my collected heirlooms out.
Or put them in a yard sale.
Or maybe she will love them.  
Either way, I hope they come into the possession of someone like me.  
Some one who loves old things along with new things.  



These make great presentation pieces for bake sales, church dinners etc.

Ice cream (parfait) glass + glass plate

Do it yourself heirlooms, the next best thing to a handed-down one! 

7 comments:

Ginger said...

I never thought about people wishing they had these things since I have access to enough for you, me, and all three of our girls. Can I adopt you as my sister and you can house all the heirlooms? When I want to show them off, we'll just come over for dinner on my/our Great-Granny's dishes she got as a wedding gift.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

You inspire me!! I love your "renew" attitude, whether it be with clothes or vintage goods. We need to put our talents to good cause. Call me and let's brainstorm, Susan -661-304-0984

Unknown said...

Rachel,

You INSPIRE me!! We need to get our brains together!!! Your love to "RENEW" and mine to "CREATE" could only mean a fabulous relationship!!

Anonymous said...

oh, a fervent AMEN!!! And **enthusiastic clapping**! I, too, have heirloom envy! I have precious few things from generations past in my own family, and I always wonder if girls who have these priceless collectables are aware of their worth! Thanks for a facinating look at your new heirlooms...and your daughter will treasure them twice as much because they were made by her creative genius mother! :] -Tiffany

cheyenne said...

very very cute!

Unknown said...

I love these! May try some to make for presents.

Sue from Oregon said...

so very cool!!!