Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Duct Tape Wedding Hat


I have a special event coming up next week.  
I have, in vain, been looking for something special to 
WEAR to the event.  
Something that would make me look 
young, thin.....sigh...
you know how it is.

No such outfit was to be found, 
as no such outfit EXISTS.

So I set my hopes on a special hat.  
They ALWAYS come in your size.  
  
 I do so love this one, alas,
it costs as much as a small car.  
What to do?


As many an Elmore before me 
I determined that lack in the budget 
does NOT have to be the end of the deal.
When you want/need something... 
MAKE DO.

So I have endeavored to make one 
to suit both my hearts desire 
AND my budget.



I started with these.  
Flower pot.  Pretzel container.  
Plastic wrap.  Duct tape.

First I wrapped the pretzel container with plastic wrap.  
This way I can get it off the form when I'm finished.
Next I started wrapping the pretzel container 
with strips of duct tape.


To get a raised ridge I added strips of tape 
and pinched them into shape.


I wrapped all the way to where I wanted the brim to end.  
Then cut slits into the edges to splay them 
out into a brim shape & reinforced 
the slits with strips of duct tape.

Then I began pinning on the 
dupioni silk wire edged ribbon.


The wire edging was soooo helpful 
in getting it to lay smoothly.  
I could pinch pleat it easily as pinned it into place.
after pinning it I used my 
trusty rusty hot glue gun 
to adhere it in place

I lined the inside brim with the same ribbon.


To finish it I made 3 rolled prayer flower
from gray/black silk 
to adorn the front.




Viola.... duct tape wedding hat.




Now I just need some matching shoes....

9 comments:

Lana Lyman said...

my mouth is hanging open in awe! *Impressed*

Duana Sargent said...

I may need to try this one!! Great job!!

Lee Duncan is HatStruck said...

Beautiful hat! Very innovative. Thanks for posting on my blog.

Hat Therapy said...

Hey well done, Louise Green would be impressed.
Thanks for following my blog hope you enjoy the posts.

debdan@click1.net said...

WOW....just WOW!!! Cannot tell you how much I love this hat......nor how stupified I am by your creativity and talent. I found your blog through Cheyenne and Robert.

Rachel Coltharp said...

@debdan, so glad you like the hat... you should try your hand at making one.

I loooove sweet Cheyenne, she is a gentle sweet soul and Robert is sooo talented. Have you had his cookies??!!

Unknown said...

Most beautiful hat I've seen! You are Auh-MAZ-ing!! Wow!!

Jody Pearl said...

Amazing - I love this hat!

mjk said...

Don't know if my last comment went through, I couldn't make out the first code word. If not, edit this one please...

The hat is gorgeemous! Oh, my, you are so creative! Sorry I didn't see it sooner. Now I want Reba to see it, she'll be thrilled with it too.

Love you...
Sis. mjk