Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Art of Frugality

Use it up, wear it out.  Make it do or do without.  Old words that ring truer than ever in these days.  Coming from my red-neck, mostly-second-hand-everything childhood I am a born repurposer.  I am sure that I cut my first teeth on someones garage sale table while my mother found a treasure for our home.  I have a long and proud heritage of second handing and repurposing.  


Today I want to share with you a repurposed thrift store find.    It was a leather coat that had seen better days, frayed edges and worn seams.  It's days as a coat were over, but it had plenty of wear yet as ... drum roll please....shoes!

I love the Bobux & Robeez boutique leather  & cloth soft shoes.  They are comfy, they fit Baby G's chubby little foot like a glove and they are so stinking cute.  I have several pair, cutsy ones for wearing to church and around town.  But, more is more girl that I am... I wanted more. 


So I found (free) patterns for them, cut up the  thrift store suede jacket and viola!  Baby G has some run-around-the house shoes. 


I experimented a bit on these two pair, adding in some blue ultra suede and pieces of an old leather skirt.  They are a little cuter than the first pair... but still woefully unbeautiful.   Hopefully I'll get better with practice and he'll have some cuter ones soon.  






Check out the free pattern and step by step instructions at  http://www.tackyliving.com/article.php?id=121
and try your own hand at it.


For AMAZING photos of other peoples BEAUTIFUL work look here   http://www.flickr.com/groups/bittybooties/

No comments: