Monday, April 26, 2010

Naked Yard Party

We moved into Blessings House in the middle of the summer.  The yard was my husbands every dream come true.  In  his estimable opinion a yard only needs one thing to be perfect with a capital P.  NICE GRASS.  And nice grass we had.  Little else.

In faith, dreaming of a lush garden of Eden, minus the snake, I had used my birthday/anniversary/Mothers Day money to have a flowerbed cut into the front side walkway and driveway.  It looked like this.


I'm sure those dandy concrete planters caught your eye.  I rescued from the curb of an ancient victorian house being stripped.  The pair were a wee bit chipped and black, but a round or two of spray paint froofied them right up.  They now stand guard at the steps of the front entryway.  Those babies weighed about a thousand pounds each.    You just gotta love strangers who will help fetch and carry for you when you need it.
Then I threw a Naked Yard Party.  I sent out a whiny pitiful explanation of my naked yard and invited folks to dig up a piece of something they had plenty of, in exchange for food and non-inebriating libations.  Some folks did just that.  Dug up some green leafy things.  Others grabbed a pot of something from the store.  All were welcome.

Next spring/summer we welcomed this.... the blue and white planters are my version of treasure.  They are stinking hard to find so if you see any snatch them up for me.  Pretty Please with sugar on top.




Ordered bulbs from ebay that fall and was thrilled and delighted the next summer with this


 


Never one to be hindered or hampered by conventional rules, I planted tomato, lettuce and carrots right there in the front along with the flowers.  It was lovely to walk out and pick our salad fixins fresh while cutting flowers for the table.

There was one hitch... Miss Reagan accidentally transplanted one of her Russian Giant sunflowers into the front flowerbed.  It looked like a TREE.  Seriously.  People would slow down and stare at the monstrosity of a sunflower growing up into the heavens like a modern day Jack's beanstalk.  Brent is 6'4 and it dwarfed him.


I will not go into horrifying detail  concerning my removal of the evergreen bushes near the front porch.  Lets just say that Honey Pie said it couldn't be done.  I proved it could.  Unfortunately their removal resulted in water coming in through the window well.  Something about roots sucking up rain water and when the roots were no more the water had to go somewhere else.  Who knew? Let's just say the pleasure of being RIGHT, for once, was overshadowed by the water ruining stuff in my sewing room.  Urggg. 

So if YOU have a naked yard of your own..... have a Naked Yard Party and fill 'er up.

3 comments:

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Thanks for the tips! Enjoyed the party results!

Dianne Dupree said...

I LOVE the idea of a naked yard party. What a great way to get new plants for your yard without spending a lot of money! Hey, I think I wqant to do it, and my yard isn't naked.

Crystin said...

This is so cool! Now I have ideas for when God blesses my ohana with a yard :) Love your blogs!