Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Kitchen Work - the island

Honey Pie is a gracious and generous man.  
He divvies up the finances quite fairly, giving me the household budget, 
groceries, clothing and and spending money.
  
I get to spend it the way I want, he does not give a hoot what I do with my left overs. 
I get left overs by using cloth diapers, coupons, bulk purchasing, buying clothes second hand etc.  
I shop at Aldi, Cermack, Michaels Fresh Market where I save 40-90% on my groceries.
I make our bread, we do not drink pop. 
We do not buy pre-cooked or prepared foods.  
We eat fruit & veggies instead of chips and Oreos.

It may not sound like much, but it adds up!

I saved my left overs for 2 years and got ... A KITCHEN REDO!


I am a Horchow girl on a Goodwill budget.  
I'm not complaining about it.  Far from it.   
The hunt for what I have in mind and the journey to make it into what I want, 
ahhhhh there is joy in that journey! 


I love to look at home dec ideas.
         In so doing, I stumbled across this hand carved beauty.  
Priced at $8, 550


(find it here http://www.finesgallery.com/InfopageMFP-333.htm)


 It is a little bit toooo ornate, even for me, and that is saying something.

Wonder what Frued would say about my desire for opulace?  Oh well, never mind.

I prefer something more like this, which I found in a magazine but cannot find online.  

Since it is NOT living room work time... YET...( insert minacial laughter here) what is a girl to DO with her dream of oh-so-fabulous-wood corbels?  

Where could they go in the kitchen?

(kitchen before)

I know what you are thinking... well duh Rachel...slap them on the island of course.

Yes, I think you are right.

Add a bit of paint, my oh-so-fab-corbels and a few pieces of trim later,
and you get.....

Taaaaa-Daaaa


Yes indeedie, it is the same island.  

And that my friends, is the story of the island that cloth diapers built.
***************

The boring detail stuff
I found these corbels 70% off at  http://www.osbornewood.com/
They recently ran them 90% off  
which made them around $70 each (paint grade)
sign up for their sale emails!

The actual WORK was done by Mike & Sarah Haiser of MGH Construction
contact them at http://www.mghconstruction.com/
where you can see more of my kitchen under the kitchen photos!

2 comments:

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

I'm pro-cloth, too. Raised my two with them. As a mother of a 26 and 23 year old, I'm a living witness that the in-diapers season is fleeting. The first year of the firstborn I did it with no washing machine of my own-- yes: laundromat! It can be done, and is worth the savings. Good stewardship, Mama! You go, girl. Your "new" island's lovely!

Timothy Revis said...

Rachel -- We are bowled over with the beautifully remodeled island you have created using our Island Height Corbel with Grapes. The transformation between your before and after pictures is nothing short of amazing. The color you've chosen for your cabinetwork is beautiful to see; it brings out the details not only on the corbels but on the arched tops of your cabinet doors. Congratulations on successfully making your inspired ideas a reality!